Sunday, July 31, 2011

Living Daily with Crohns Disease Topic: Food

As I sit here I am pondering what to eat.  Correction, what I can actually eat.  One thing I have learned are the trigger foods and the foods that go down easy.  Trigger foods are the healthy good tasting things, the easy foods are heavy white starches.  Early on I realized I had an intolerance to milk.  The sugar in even the non-fat milk just kicks my butt.  Nuts are horrible, no matter how much you try to thoroughly chew them. Popcorn is an absolute not, spicy foods, crunchy foods and sugar are all foods I avoid.  I have learned to have a low fiber non sugar cereal when I crave it with water.  Sounds horrible I realize but if you are craving cereal enough you will learn to enjoy it.  No cream with coffee, even the substitutes and soy don't work.  All candy because of the sugar is avoided.  Mexican, Italian, Chinese Food etc.... are all avoided.  The consequences is heavy painful diahrea and pain that doesn't want to stop.  It may take a while to become faithful to this diet but eventually you give in.  Hard fresh vegetables and fresh fruit are avoided.  The fresh vegies don't digest so well and the acid in the fruit is hard to digest.  Basically high fiber foods just increase the symptoms, one thing you try to avoid is anything that will loosen your bowels when dealing with active crohn's.   

No comments:

Post a Comment