Thursday, May 17, 2012

So I went and saw the Infectious Disease Doctor for my positive TB Test.  Latent TB.  I should really go with my gut as I knew it was a waste of time and guess what?  It was a waste of time.  He was super nice and friendly but for $495 for an initial visit should come more prepared.  Basically he spent the whole appointment trying to use the laptop which is now mandatory for the clinic.  He couldn't find my tests in the files and my insight into the situation of my positive test was right.  My liver is too sick and my Crohns would suffer too greatly to take the chance of treating the TB.  Somewhere between September of 20111 and February of 2012 is when I contacted it.  I wanted to know if the test was a negative, positive or a range, could it be a lower positive or higher.  He just couldn't find the results and then got pages too many times.  I almost walked out.  So I am going to try and find the answers myself. He said he would and call me and it's been a few days and I have heard nothing.  Probably time for him to retire too.  But like I said, great bedside manner and very nice.  Nice doesn't help me.  Without treating the TB, I will be unable to take Biologicals which lower your immune system and would make me more susceptible to getting TB.  The treatment is 6-9 months and can be expensive and needs to be done under supervision.  I can't live without my liver, I can live with a positive TB and all the other problems I have, so I will just forge on.  I will though have to be careful being around sick people.  He did say my liver didn't seem enlarged, this is good.  I really need to stick with my instincts on all of this medical stuff, generally I lead myself in the right direction.

I would caution anyone going on a Biologic drug to get another TB test no matter how long it has been.  Mine changed in a matter of months. 

No comments:

Post a Comment