Monday, October 31, 2011

If you are related to me or to someone with Crohn's Disease please read my blog today.  It is not meant to bring you stress but warning signs to be aware.  About 20 years ago I remember asking my GP if it was possible to have your sinus infection drain green to your bowels.  He really looked at me funny and basically didn't say much.  I remember having an episode that was clearly Crohn's Disease, put me in the ER and stitches later they said I had a bout of food poisoning or the flu.  Clearly not.  Then I moved across country and the irregular bowels which I thought were normal continued.  My OB said I needed more fiber. Which only makes it worse.  Clearly when I was substitute Teaching and running to the restroom between classes it was taking over.  Then I moved again across country a new job and I couldn't drive the kids to school without an accident.  My point being is that they don't know if Crohn's is genetic.  If you are having bowels with green mucous, pain, blood, the big D, fatigue, mucous bowels (even clear) then you need to talk to your doctor.  Explain that you have a relative with Severe Crohn's Disease.  It doesn't mean you have it, but they now have some better testing, including blood tests.  Again, my point, mine went undiagnosed as, food poisoning, the flu, lactose intolerance, stress till clearly it became severe from not being treated for twenty years.  It is fistula based (ulcers) that continue to grow and abcess if not caught and treated along with inflammation which make your bowels hard to move.  Now I'm not trying to bring the fear of god to you, but just a simple clear understanding.  Bowel disease tends to run in families, not proven but not not proven, some think it may be a bacteria, some genetics some the environment. So know your body, don't let someone tell you to eat more fiber have a colonoscopy if needed and get to the bottom of it, I wished I had sooner, it might have made my life a lot easier, meaning I may have been able to get into Remission had it been caught earlier. The worse you let it get, the harder it is to control, clearly mine is out of control.

No comments:

Post a Comment