Thursday, September 1, 2011

Daily Living With Crohn's Disease

Crohn's is known to cause weight loss.  If you have had crohn's you know that this is all you hear.  I have to be honest I haven't experienced this side of it till I went off the "Big Gun" drugs.  The last "Big Gun" drug caused a weight gain of quite a bit and when you go to the forums you will hear this over and over.  I think they must be made to put weight on patients, it would make sense because if your flaring and not eating, you are not taking in the correct nutrients and therefore lose weight.  Over the course of this summer I have dropped 20 plus pounds.  Now this worked out okay for me as I was overweight to begin with and 20 pounds hardly made a difference.  Now I feel the difference.  But if you are a small person and you lose 20 pounds from being ill that can be devastating to your health.  With no hope in sight of things changing for me, I am careful to eat soft foods that are healthy.  My daily regime lately is a soft banana, yogurt(even though I am lactose intolerant), maybe some cheerios with water or a piece of plain toast and lots of liquids.  I go to sleep with my stomach grumbling from being hungry but eating and filling it up will just lead to a night of pain and trips to the John, so it's not worth it.  I think it's somewhat of a myth that crohn's patients are skinny, most that I know deal with the bloat, weight gain from meds and probably lack of exercise.  I really at this point could care less about weight, I would be happy at almost any size if I could regain my health.

No comments:

Post a Comment