Sunday, January 8, 2012

Remicade was my first big Biological drug I took for Crohn's Disease.  In fairness to my doctor he did give me a good strong warning before starting the drug.  Was it successful? Was it worth it?  It's hard to say.  I never really felt great and never experienced remission.  The cost involved in taking this drug after looking back wasn't worth it, but at the time I was desperate and had high hopes.  I believe it was about 10-12 thousand each infusion and wasn't completely covered.  My cost was about 2500 and these infusions were about every 4 to 6 weeks.  Not only that, but it required missing a half day of work to sit for four hours and take the infusion and the exposure to all the sickness.  But the biggest problem was that I built up a tolerance and never really experienced relief.  All the debt I accumulated from these infusions is ridiculous.  Somebody was making a huge profit off of this.  I remember the nurse telling me to take tylenol before I came in as they were charging $7.50 a pill.  I did experience sores, sinus issues, headaches and weight gain from Remicade so again another biological that basically failed.

No comments:

Post a Comment