Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Daily Living with Crohn's Disease

So yesterday I went to my first appointment for the Drug Trial I am joining. It was basically going over the paperwork involved and my health history.  September 7, I meet with the doctor.  I will have an exam, blood work, ekg, chest xray, tb test, stool samples and then given a diary to keep track of my bowels and pain for a week then I should get an infusion if I qualify after all the tests.  Phew!  I was awake all night with pain, yesterday just spending the day at the doctors took it all out of me. It's one thing to handle the pain and everything else at home, but even harder being away and having to pretend all is well.  This is phase 3 of the trial and is going on nationwide.  The drug company is out of the UK and I will probably be the only one in this area who gets into it.  If this drug/placebo doesn't work, my other option is Cimzia or LDN.  LDN isn't a widely acceptable drug for Crohn's from what I understand but some doctors prescribe it, whether mine would or not, I'm not sure.  It takes 4 months just to get a return appointment, needless to say I am disenchanted with the quality of care available here.  Another reason I would like to be in a bigger city or outside of one. 

1 comment: