Monday, August 29, 2011

Living Daily With Crohn's Disease

Okay this may be a somewhat minor issue, but I am going to talk about it anyway.  After years of infusions and being stuck many times just to find a vein that may or may not collapse I am now very proactive at speaking up when I need to have an IV or blood draw.  Fist of all, most of us Crohnies are usually somewhat dehydrated because of flaring, so finding a vein can be even harder.  Many of us our probably like myself and have had so many draws or pokes that the places to choose from are becoming limited.  I put up with just anyone in the Chemo room trying me and then finally always having the head nurse come over and take charge.  I was going there for IV treatments.  She would immediately do what everyone else should have, heat up a bean bag in the microwave and let it sit to enlarge my veins.  Once I realized my hands were the best place, I would literally offer them up first.  A few times they put the IV's in my lower arms and that hurt like a bitch.  Now when I go for draws I explain that I have crohn's, I am a hard draw and they take the appropriate measures before they draw.  So my thought is just this, speak up, you should not have to be poked 5 or 6 times while they practice on you, we know our body best and need to speak up and take charge.

No comments:

Post a Comment